.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, April 22, 2005

 

How to find $35,000.

Anxiety is my current state of emotions.

Issue #1: I had my CEIBS interview last night during which I learned that, for international students, school essentially starts Monday July 25th. That is approximately 3-4 weeks earlier than I had anticipated leaving. This is for an intense 4-week “orientation” including language, cultural, and history studies. It’s not mandatory, technically, but I’d definitely arrive several steps behind if I chose to skip it. Since this is where I want to go, I’ve been assuming that this is my new timetable. That means that in order to see all my friends/family I only have a month or so to do so (I will still be working so that leaves only the weekends, four to be exact, that I am not already occupied). Not the leisurely paced summer visitation schedules I had been mentally planning.

Issue #2: Given my constrained timetable and that fact that I may not return to the US for up to two years, I’m seriously reconsidering my CFA exam studying commitment. I’ve already paid for the damn thing and bought the books and software and all that, so I’m definitely TAKING the exam. The question is, how much heart and soul I want to put into it. More like a study when I can, hope to pass situation rather than a study super hard and expect to pass situation. A more leisurely commitment would lead to an infinitely more enjoyable last couple of months on this continent & hemisphere.

Issue #3: I have to figure out how to pay for this damn education. All the US student loan providers only consider applicants for loans that are going to schools on their “eligible” list. Of course CEIBS is not on that list. The first question they all ask on their websites is “What state is the school located?” As you can pretty guess, China is not in that list. So I have to fund a $25,000 tuition bill plus pay for living & other educational expenses and that brings the estimated total to something like $35,000.

Seems like my options are to go for a personal loan and beg the bank to restructure it as a student loan without any of the requirements. Meaning, there are no payments to be made until 3-6 months after graduation. Obviously, making student loan payments while I’m still in school is not an attractive solution. And if I can’t find this money, then all my aspirations for the past year or two are flushed down the toilet. I’m even trying to figure out who I know that is rich and would lend me money. But that would be extremely last resort.

My non-loan funding options are personal savings and 401k/IRA education loan. Personal savings I will need DURING school and borrowing from my

Issue #4: I still haven’t heard back from Columbia or NYU and I fully expect one of those schools to throw a monkey wrench/life line (depending on your perspective) in my plans.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?