.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, May 06, 2005

 

Why China/CEIBS?

Some people have asked me why I would go to China for business school when there are plenty of good schools in the US. Only getting into Columbia would make me 2nd guess my current options. I really want international experience and it would be great not paying 120K+ in student loans. What it costs to go to Columbia for one semester is nearly my entire tuition + living costs in Shanghai/HK. I want to differentiate myself from the typical MBA grad and if I can do that in the fastest growing economy in recorded history, then all the better.

"Well, you could go to China on exchange. Why not just do that?" Is the next question. In a way, I agree, especially if you want to work in the US. You get int'l exposure and a sizable look at the place without really committing. However, that seems like using a very expensive middle man that can just as easily be cut out, especially if you're considering post-MBA career options in the region.

In reality, going to HK or CEIBS as an int'l student is a bit of a gamble. You're taking risks on several areas, political stability, varying political support for the schools, career options, school reputation/recognition and whether you'll even like the place/people/culture. On the long term, I think and Asian MBA is a safe bet since despite the high likelihood of volatility, this is a region that is already important today and will continue on that path for the foreseeable future.

I just hope they don't decide to float the yuan or HKD before I have to pay the tuition bill!!

CEIBS Campus Gate:


Information Centre:


For more pictures click here.

Comments:
Why China?

Anders, we all know the real reason is to satisfy that unquenchable Asian fetish of yorus.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?