.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

 

Small World, Pudong, Pudong, and the Europeans

So not only have I met someone here (although prearranged) that I knew in college at Lehigh, but turns out one of my classmates went to high school with one of my best friends from Lehigh as well, in Glen Rock no less.

Just got back from Puxi (the "old" or real Shanghai, east of the Huangpu River, yes students, time to take out your maps) and the Pearl Orient Tower, the Empire State Building or Space Needle of Shanghai. We ate at the highest revolving restaurant in Asia (I know this because signs told us this several times). It was a little strange because you can't get within 100 yards of it without buying a ticket inside or getting the included buffett dinner, which we did. 180 RMB for the observation deck and buffett dinner. Not the best dinner, but after days of cafeteria food a more than welcome change!

Before the PET, a classmate, the one from high school in Glen Rock, a Korean girl, and myself went to Nanjing Lu, a pedestrian shopping street. Unfortunately, it was day time and all the bright lights were not yet on. Nonetheless, an impressive sight. And I think I had my first Shanghai prostitute experience (not that kind!). She was in looked at sweaters while I was outside watching a Chinese guy play saxophone on a balcony in German lederhosen (really! you can't make this up!) when a women approached me and started asking me questions. Where are you from, how long are you staying, what type of school are you going to (a note, i had to have her repeat each of these questions at least once). Then she beckoned her friend over and they started asking me if I wanted to work with them. Or that's what I thought. Anyway, after several attempts asking me something about working, I realized they were "working girls." Now, before my less moral friends scold me, one of them had facial hair. Once it occurred to what they were actually saying I said "bu yao" which is essentially "don't want" and perhaps one of the most useful terms you can have here. As a laowai, you definitely get far more attention from sellers than other people and they are quite aggresive. And some of the beggars have far more devious tool than I've ever seen they use to beg. Little children! Seriously! It really is tough, even for this New Yorker, to brush off children begging for money. However, when telling others of this later, apparently a significant portion of the begging "industry" is mob controlled!

And our international classmates have quickly become associated with their nationality. There are the Spaniards, the Italians, and the Germans. The former two which are habitually late! Then there are us "singles." The Indian, the Dutch guy, the Korean, the American, and me. Not sure if my classmates throw me in the American or Swedish category yet. Regardless, everyone is great and I especially love the Spanish guys' accents.

One final interesting note. Kinda of like the New York MetroCard that works on buses and the subway, they have a transport card here. But what's interesting is how fully depend on this card we are. Not only does it work on the subway, bus, ferry, AND in taxis, it is also our ROOM KEY, and basically our method of payment for all food on campus. This is something you do NOT want to lose.

Pictures to follow.

Comments:
LOL, shoulda snapped a pic of the hooker with the fuzz. Woulda made a nice wallpaper! Definitely make my coworkers question their thoughts of me.

Too bad I won't be shooting for CEIBS anymore (damn the GMAT [shaking fists]), but I'm sure I'll be able to find a fuzzy hooker wherever I end up.

good luck man!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?